• J. B. King

J. B. King

Ability: Technical
Depth: 155'
Built: 1863
Sunk: June 26, 1930

Starting from

Availability: Contact us for booking information

The "King" was a 140 Ft. wooden drill barge owned by John P. Porter and sons of St. Catharine. She was engaged in drilling and blasting to deepen the "narrows" to 27 Ft. when she was struck by lightening and exploded June 26, 1930. 

U.S. Revenue Cutter "Succor" (CG 211) was patrolling nearby and heard the explosion, racing to the scene recovered 10 of the total 11 that survived out of a total 43 that had been onboard. 

The site is just north of Cockburn Island in quick current and runs to 155 Ft. depth at the edge of the downstream lane of the shipping channel. Due to the currents and depth, this is a Technical dive. 

A large grannet monument on Cockburn Island pays tribute to the men who lost their lives that night. Please respect the hard efforts of these men by not disturbing the wreck while visiting the site. 

0 reviews for J. B. King

Write a review

Can't read? Reload